Tuesday 3 July 2012

Tuesday's Time To (3rd July)


Today in our home ...

A time to plant ...
One of our neighbours gave me an orchid!  She said she did not want to keep it herself as she wasn't "green fingered"!  (I know in America the phrase is "green thumbed" but it means the same thing, I think).  Well I didn't like to say that I wasn't sure I was "green fingered" either!  I have never really seen an orchid before.  It is incredible to look at - two long stems with bright cerise pink flowers on that are so perfectly shaped and so deeply coloured that they look almost as if they are not real - as if they have been man-made and not from nature.  It is pretty, but I surely have never seen anything like it before!  Papa Bear and the cubs haven't seen it yet so I wonder what they will say when they get home this evening!  I need to look up on the internet how to take care of it too. 

A time to heal ...
I have had a migraine these past 2 days.  Today it is not as bad as yesterday, when most of the day I felt very nauseous and was in a lot of pain.  Now, the pain is just faint, like an echo of the pain I had yesterday, and I feel weak but not nauseous.  I don't get migraines very often, so I feel very sorry for those that do - they are not fun!  Thankfully no one else in the family seems to get them either.

A time to laugh ...
We laughed at Church on Sunday when the pastor was talking in his sermon about two of Jesus's apostles - Paul and Peter.  He made the analogy of other familiar pairs in popular culture - "sugar and spice", "chalk and cheese", and "tea and cakes"  The tea and cakes were a reference to the fact that our pastor is well known for his love of sweet treats!  Everyone in the congregation laughed when he said this.  At least it showed we were all listening!

A time to embrace ...
I gave Little Bear a BIG hug this morning when I saw that she had got everyone's breakfast ready - despite having to get ready to leave early for her work in the town herself.  She knew I wouldn't be feeling too good with my bad head, so she very thoughtfully got up before anyone else and had the breakfast done before I had even got out of bed.  What a wonderful daughter she is.

A time to keep ...
When you are feeling unwell it can be overwhelming to think of how you will get all your chores done.  It's especially hard when you have small children and still all the usual things  - the laundry, the meals, the schooling - to get done.  I try to keep a little reserve of energy stored away to cope with days like this.  Instead of working to my usual schedule, I pare it down to the bare minimum of things that absolutely cannot be left to the next day (or next week if I am really unwell).  Then I just get those done - in stages if necessary, with breaks in between.  No harm will be done if you have to put your chores to one side when you are unwell - it is more important that you take care of yourself, so you can "keep on keeping on" when you are better!

A time to sew ...
I haven't done much sewing recently - no mending to be done, so at the moment, I am concentrating on my knitting.  I have just started another sweater - using the last bits of wool left over from the previous one.  I don't know how far I shall get with it but I am enjoying knitting it so far.  I shall share about that in more detail next week.

A time to speak ...
One other thing I have not done much of!  When I have a headache, I don't want to talk.  And my family have been so sweet and understanding - and not talked too much either!  It has been very quiet here as a result the last day or so.  I shall be glad when everything is back to normal.  At least the birds are still chattering!

A time to love ...
I love the mornings in the summer.  It is lovely to wake up to daylight and do our morning devotions and Bible study without having to put on the light, or wrap up warm.  Everything seems freer and easier when the days are so much lighter and longer.  The birdsong is beautiful too, and on some mornings when I walk through the park with Papa Bear, everywhere is so pretty - so many different birds, and all the plants in the "formal gardens" of the park in full bloom.  Last week we noticed some really lovely dark red roses, and there was another plant that we did not know the name of, which was deliciously scented, like lime blossom - so fragrant and perfect.  Yes, summer definitely has much to be glad for!

A time for peace ...
Today has been a very peaceful day.  I am feeling so much better for having slowed my pace down a little and taken a few breathers - and it has helped me to appreciate everything that my family does for me too.  We are a proper little team - and I've also realised how resourceful and responsible our children are now that they are grown!  It reassures me greatly to see how well they can take care of a home by themselves now.  That gives me peace in my heart too, and thankfulness to our Lord, for having guided us in our teaching of them, that we were showing them the right path to follow.  Being a parent is such an important job!