Wednesday 4 July 2012

July 4th - A Special Reason To Celebrate

Source of this image here.

In England, of course, Independence Day is not traditionally celebrated as a holiday.  However, as a family, we do remember it ... for a very personal reason.  I shan't share all the details here, but just as in 1776 when the Declaration of Independence was signed, several years ago, we too signed some important paperwork that day which symbolised a special sort of freedom for us.  The months leading up to this occasion were some of the toughest we have had to live through as husband and wife, and so that day was very special indeed for us, and has some very precious memories.  It was only later when we realised the significance of the actual date - Independence Day!  In our own small way, we had signed our very own "declaration of independence" too!  For this reason, we decided that we would always mark July 4th as a special date in our family calendar from then on.  We don't have fireworks or a barbecue (though the weather is fine enough that we could if we really wanted to) but we do have a special meal!  This year, Papa Bear is taking us out to a family restaurant near our home where we shall enjoy a Mexican meal - with yummy dessert to follow (if we have room)!  I am looking forwards to this very much!

We will also be thanking God for keeping our family so safely united - and for His protection, ensuring our good health and wellbeing, that helps us to stay together.  I thought it would be nice to share a prayer today that I found online - it is written by the Preacher Billy Graham.  We shall be saying this prayer later on - and remembering people across the world, who may also be thanking God for their liberty today too.

Happy July 4th to our American readers!

Dear Lord,

There is no greater feeling of liberation than to experience this freedom
from sin and death that you have provided for me through Jesus Christ.
Today my heart and my soul are free to praise you. For this I am very
thankful.

On this Independence Day I am reminded of all those who have sacrificed
for my freedom, following the example of your Son, Jesus Christ. Let me
not take my freedom, both physical and spiritual, for granted. May I always
remember that my freedom was purchased with a very high price. My
freedom cost others their very lives.

Lord, today, bless those who have served and continue to give their lives
for my freedom. With favor and bounty meet their needs and watch over
their families.

Help me to live my life in a way that glorifies you, Lord. Give me the
strength to be a blessing in someone else's life today, and grant me the
opportunity to lead others into the freedom that can be found in knowing Christ.

 Amen