Monday 5 March 2012

A Quick And Tasty Snack For A Football Loving Husband!



This is one of Papa Bear's favourite TV snacks. I make it for him often to enjoy whilse he is watching the football. Like a lot of husbands, he is football-crazy. Not being a born football fan, I've found that rather than allowing this to be a source of disagreement in our marriage, I've learned to use it as an opportunity to develop an interest and passion for something I never once, before I became Mrs. Bear, thought I'd be able to enjoy. Now I get almost as much pleasure and excitement from watching the games as Papa Bear does - and so I was just as happy when our team equalised yesterday in the 90th minute of the game! Yay! Smiles all round!

To make this simple snack, per person, you will need ...

Half a 14 oz can baked beans in spicy tomato sauce
3/4 cup salsa
1 individual size pack Dorito chips
1/2 cup grated (shredded) cheddar cheese
1/2 tablespoon green chillis from a jar
1 large tomato, cut into eighths
Sour cream or yogurt to serve

Place the beans in a small microwave proof dish.
Spread the chips on top of the beans.
Put spoonfulls of the salsa on top of the chips.
Add the grated cheese and chillis.
Microwave on high for 4 /12 minutes (850 watt microwave), or until the cheese is melted and the beans are bubbling.
Garnish with the tomato eighths and serve with sour cream and more chillis if liked!

As in the picture above, Papa Bear likes to have this dish served with a glass of chilled shandy (non alcoholic beer and lemonade). It's a quick and easy snack that is perfect for watching the football (I can get it prepared during half-time, without having to miss a moment of the game), and although it is fairly calorific (about 700, I estimate) and therefore a treat rather than an everyday staple, it is also not too bad for you health wise, with lots of fibre from the beans, and the salsa and tomato mean it counts as one portion of your five-a-day, too! And although I've never made it any other way but this, you could also try making it with refried beans, instead of baked (they are not easy to come by, where we live), or even plain canned beans.